Yesterday was my brother and his wife’s baby shower and I had promised to make all pink strawberry cupcakes. I had found a recipe I was going to do which was for 6 standard cupcakes and I was going to mini cupcakes so it was going to work out well, but then went online and searched for vegan options and found the perfect one. All the pink color came from the strawberry purée and I didn’t have to add artificial color, that won me over.
I made 24 mini cupcakes and had enough batter leftover for 2 standard cupcakes. Left one unfrosted for my vegan cousins cause the frosting wasn’t vegan and one for me to try. I finally tried it until I was at the shower and OMG AMAZING!!! My best work yet!
The dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.
They smelled incredible in the oven, like strawberries.
They tasted just as good as they smelled, maybe better. They only put out out some of the cupcakes. Should have brought just 12 and left the other 12 for home. I looked for a strawberry frosting recipe, but they all had a lot of confectioner’s sugar, I hate that. So I had to create my own.
Ingredients to make around 12 medium sized cupcakes
• All purpose flour: 1 1/2 cups
• Baking powder: 2 tsp
• Salt: 1/2 tsp
• Strawberry puree: 1 1/2 cups(I washed around 12 to 15 strawberries, cut into two pieces and pureed in a mixer.)
• Canola oil: 1/3 cup
• Granulated sugar: 2/3 cup
• Vanilla extract/essence: 1 tsp
1. Pre heat the oven to 170 degree C (325 degrees F) and place paper liners in the muffin tin or grease the tin with oil.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and salt and keep aside.
3. In another large bowl, beat together the puree, oil, sugar and vainlla until well mixed.(I did this with electric mixer)
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix until the batter is smooth.(Do not over mix)
5. Pour a ladleful of batter into the muffin tin.
6. Place the tin in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Adapted from My Vegetarian Recipes
• One package (8oz) of cream cheese, softened
• 1/4 cup (4 tbsp) butter, softened
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup strawberry purée
• 1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
Beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and purée in a bowl; beat until smooth. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat. Frost cooled cupcakes. About 1 1/2 dozen
I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and I think that was why the frosting was runny, next time I’ll use regular cream cheese.