It was a snowed in kind of day and I was in the mood to bake something. I wanted something simple and started looking at my recipes, didn’t want any of those so I looked through Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World and settled on the chocolate cupcake recipe. I had done that recipe before so I wanted to make it different this time and another experiment in the kitchen was underway. I decided on making it half chocolate and half normal so I can turn it into a marble cake.
I had made marble cake in the past so I knew how to get “my swirl on”.
I mixed up the ingredients like adding some coconut oil and also made them gluten free.
Poured the chocolate half, then the non chocolate and swirled!
Came out looking very nice out of the oven and smelling good.
I made it on a Friday which worked out well because a cousin from DC was visiting that weekend and arriving that day, so we all had some together. The end result was very moist and not too sweet, it was good, but I would probably tweak it some next time I make it.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
• 1 cup soy milk
• 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
• 3/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/3 cup cocoa powder, Dutch-processed or regular
• 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the soy milk mixture and beat until foamy. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain (a few tiny lumps are OK).
3. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
Adapted from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero